Thursday, December 6, 2007

St. Nicholas Day

Happy St. Nicholas Day!
Today is one of my favorite holidays. Not super huge like Christmas, but super special. I cherish it. Today I woke up and got to the pre-school by 8:45, like every Tuesday and Thursday now until May! I didn't think that I would like working at a pre-school, but I actually am really enjoying it. I know that these kids probably won't remember me in a couple of years, but it's really fun to watch them learn. It's so cool to see the world though their eyes, at their level. Watch how each of them have different personalities and learning styles. Today I helped Aletheia make her advent wreath...we dipped their hands in green paint and had them put their handprints on a piece of paper in a circle...it ended up looking like a wreath of boughs. Then we took red paint and with their index finger had them make berries. They turned out all different, but really neat. We will tape an advent candle on at the end of each week.

When I got home from pre-school, I helped Mom hang up grass mats in Uncle Dave's room that he brought home from India. They smelled like Grandpa's oats for his horses. I love that smell! Then I finished up my book "Hattie Big Sky". It had a nice ending...she didn't prove up on her claim, unfortunately, but she found a family, and Charlie was coming home from the war and wrote her a letter saying he was sweet on her. Awww! :) In the back of the book though are recipes, and I think I might make one as a little book project. One is a eggless, butterless, milkless cake. An endnote said it was sometimes called a Depression Cake.
Then Elly and I made a sign that says Welcome Home Randy, as our Thursday project. It was fun, and our poster is very colorful. Randy comes home in 9 days! Yipee!
I printed out our Order sheet for KCC, and took it over to church to make double-sided copies. I hope it works out.
Tonight the ladies in our church all got together for an ornament party. It was actually really really fun. We went to Pam Schell's house and all brought a snack to share, and then gathered in the living room. We all had numbers, and we each got to open a gift, or steal a gift from someone. Once a gift has been stolen 3 times it stays with that person. I got a little woodland Santa...It's a Santa wearing a long red and white coat, holding a bird in his hand, and carrying a sack with little sticks on his back. He is really cute, and I stole him from Janice. She really wants him though, perhaps I will enjoy him until Christmas and give it to her as a Christmas present. He's adorable though!
I'm going to sleep. Guten Nacht.

No comments: